Turn, Turn, Turn
Tuesday August 11, 2020
Click here for an Easy Print Version
- We read in Ecclesiastes 3:1(and in the collected works of Pete Seeger), "To everything there is a season." Later, in 3:6 "A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;"
- The time for Mullings is over. It has reached its sell-by date.
- I've been writing Mullings more-or-less regularly for 22 years and it's just not fun anymore.
- So, this will be it.
- No soaring rhetoric. No tearful apologies. No scowling last shots.
- I'll turn off the Paypal account so if you have an automatic renewal for the annual subscription drive you won't be paying for vaporware.
- I'll keep my same email; firstname.lastname@example.org so you can continue to make fun of me when Trump does something right, or I Tweet something wrong.
- I'm behind by a couple of years in updating the Archives, and I'll try to get that done in the next month or so.
- It has not been a struggle to write Mullings. It's never a question of "What am I going to write about tonight?" As any columnist will tell you, there are more things to write about than there is space or time available.
- I'm a pretty good writer. Always have been. My saving grace has been I write very quickly. I'm not one of those writers who agonizes over every phrase. I rarely have had to struggle to find a clever way to write what I wanted to say. So, pumping out 750 words three, then two, days per week hasn't been a heavy lift.
- I've also never been shy about taking a position. Being a non-Trumper from the moment he came down the elevator has cost me most of my readership and a good deal of money. I've never regretted a day because I know I would have had to fake being a Trump supporter for the sake of my income and email list numbers, and I would not have liked myself very much.
- Some of you have noted that the "evergreen" columns, Christmas, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, first day of school, opening day of the baseball season, are your favorites.
- Mine, too. I still shed tears when I edited them to keep them up-to-date.
- The reach of Mullings has surprised me over the decades. Knowing I would write about wherever I was, whatever I was doing, and with whomever I was with has opened many doors.
- To that end, I have done the most interesting things, in the most unique places, with the best people and, have been able to take you along for the ride.
- I'll toss an occasional wistful glance at my Delta Airlines statement (two million+ miles) and my American Airlines statement (one million+ miles), and remember that time we went to Zanzibar and had drinks in Freddy Mercury's favorite bar, or played the piano at "Rick's Café" in Casablana, Morocco; or went looking for the statue of The Thinker in the Louvre only to be told it was in the Rodin Museum only to find, when I got there, it was on loan to Germany, or chatted with the Russian border guards in Eastern Ukraine, or that trip to Fallujah.
- My life could have gone in a number of different ways, but being elected to the City Council in Marietta, Ohio (45750) got me interested in politics and led us to move to our Nation's Capital to practice the art at its highest levels.
- One of the best parts of Mullings has been the Secret Decoder Ring and the Mullfoto of the Day. The SDR started so I could help document what I was writing about. The Mullfoto taught me to look at unique, odd, interesting, and/or amusing things with a photographer's eye, not just a writer's eye.
- Before I turn out the lights I want to thank all the sponsors over all the years especially the folks at the Tarrance Group, Campaign Solutions, and Focus Data Solutions who have been along for the full ride.
- You're on your own for the rest of this election cycle. I got my mail-in-ballot request from the Virginia Board of Elections, so I'll vote early and get it out of the way, but I'll watch (and Tweet @richgalen) about things I think I need to share.
- Turn, turn, turn.
- One last thing: The support and love from The Lad, Reed, and from the Mullings Director of Standards & Practices; Couldn't have - wouldn't have - done it without them.
- Her name, by the way, is Susan.
Copyright © 2020 Barrington Worldwide, LLC
All Rights Reserved
09/08/20 - Turn, Turn, Turn
08/11/20 - Kamala Harris
08/04/20 - Time to Cut Loose
07/23/20 - Opening Day - 2020
07/22/20 - Line of Duty, Yes
07/18/20 - Haley Mary Pass
07/13/20 - My Money's on Dr, Fauci
07/03/20 - Happy Birthday, America
06/31/20 - What Does He Know NOW?
06/26/20 - What a Week
06/19/20 - You, Sir
06/15/20 - Early Polling
06/12/20 - Separation Exhaustion
06/08/20 - Which Side Are You On?
06/01/20 - Kent State
05/28/20 - 100,000
05/25/20 - Memorial Day - 2020
05/22/20 - Hydroxychlo - whatever
05/18/20 - The Circumstances of No Pomp
05/12/20 - Absolute Power Corrupts ...
05/05/20 - The Rise of Reed Galvin
05/01/20 - Get Used to It
04/27/20 - Dying for a Haircut
04/24/20 - Shine a Light at the Night
04/21/20 - Ain't We Got Fun
04/17/20 - Re-Opening
04/13/20 - Cheerleader-in-Chief
04/09/20 - Biden vs Trump
04/06/20 - It Only Works When it Doesn't Matter
03/30/20 - I'm Sailin' Right Behind
03/26/20 - 3.28 Million
03/23/20 - OK, Boomer
03/18/20 - Bye, Bye, Bernie
03/16/20 - Virus/Debate
03/12/20 - Bernie, Bernie, Bernie
03/09/20 - Coronavirus
03/04/20 - Super Tuesday
03/01/20 - Biden Wins Big
02/26/20 - Debate #10
02/24/20 - Bernie!
02/20/20 - Debate #9 - Pregame
02/17/20 - Next Up: Nevada
02/10/20 - The Political Coriolis Effect
02/5/20 - Iowa, a State of the Union
02/3/20 - Big, BIG Week
01/27/20 - Impeachment Trial - Day 5
01/24/20 - Impeachment Trial - Day 3
01/22/20 - Impeachment Trial - Day 1
01/16/20 - No Heat, No Light, No Debates
01/13/20 - Off the Ledge
01/09/20 - Off the Ledge
01/06/20 - Hard Questions; No Easy Answers
01/02/20 - Finally, the Election Year
12/30/19 - Fifty Years Ago
12/25/19 - Christmas 2019 - Six Words
12/19/19 - Walk Time
12/16/19 - When You're a Jet You're a Jet all the Way
12/12/19 - Impeachment Moves Ahead
12/09/19 - Bulldozers and Airplanes
12/05/19 - Impeachment (Ver. 1,205,736)
12/02/19 - How Many More Democrats?
11/21/19 - Political Ambassadors
11/18/19 - Impeachable? Maybe
11/14/19 - And So it Begins
11/07/19 - Is Past, Prologue?
11/04/19 - One Year to Go
10/31/19 - A Reason to Celebrate
10/21/19 - Doral
10/17/19 - Pennant
10/14/19 - Meanwhile, the Dems
10/09/19 - It's Government, but is it Good Government?
10/04/19 - Slow Down, You're Movin' Too Fast
10/01/19 - 2019 Subscription Drive
9/30/19 - Main Event
9/26/19 - Impeachment - I
9/23/19 - Bullying Ukraine
9/16/19 - Iranian Drones
9/13/19 - Democratic Debate - III
9/12/19 - Boone
9/09/19 - NOT a Sharpie Column
9/03/19 - Aaaaand ... They're Off!
8/29/19 - Back to School - 2019
8/26/19 - G7
8/22/19 - Rooting for Recession?
8/15/19 - Campaigning in Iowa - I
8/12/19 - Jeffrey Epstein is Dead
8/08/19 - It's Not All Trump's Fault
8/05/19 - Running with Trump
8/01/19 - The Democrats' Debate II
7/29/19 - The Debate Effect
7/25/19 - The Mueller Hearings
7/22/19 - A Brief History of Technology
7/18/19 - Tranquility Base Here
7/15/19 - The Socialist Envelope
7/11/19 - Acosta
7/8/19 - Good Vibrations
7/4/19 - Happy Birthday, America
7/1/19 - Busy Times
6/28/19 - The Democrats' Debate II
6/27/19 - Debates: High-Risk, Low-Reward
6/24/19 - Democrats' Dismay
6/20/19 - Crocodile Tears
6/17/19 - Deter, Safeguard, or Defend
6/10/19 - Military Service Fantasies
6/6/19 - Overlord
6/3/19 - California Dreamin'
5/30/19 - Mueller Speaks
5/27/19 - Memorial Day - 2019
5/23/19 - A Clowder of Cats
5/20/19 - Spahn & Sain and Pray for Rain
5/16/19 - Then There Were 23
5/13/19 - Biden Widens His Lead
5/9/19 - That "I" Word Again
5/2/19 - Dems One - Barr None
4/29/19 - Devotion to Socialism or Wanting to Win
4/25/19 - Requests, Demands, & Subpoenas
4/22/19 - Get Off the Impeachment Train
4/18/19 - Hung Jury
4/15/19 - Senior Citizenship
4/11/19 - Dis-Barred
4/8/19 - Kirstjen Nielsen: You're Fired
4/1/19 - April ... Ah, You Know
3/28/19 - Opening Day 2019
3/25/19 - That's Over. Nothing's Changed.
3/21/19 - Why?
3/18/19 - Those Iowa Caucuses
3/14/19 - Cheating
3/11/19 - Democrats and Socialism
3/7/19 - Gone Fishing
3/4/19 - Just Walk Away, Don J.
2/28/19 - Michael Cohen Speaks
2/25/19 - Managing Expectations
2/21/19 - The Mueller Report (1)
2/18/19 - Presidents I have Known
2/14/19 - Enough, Already, with the Wall
2/11/19 - Gals-Gals-Gals
2/6/19 - SOTU - 2019
2/4/19 - Blackface
1/31/19 - Disrupter
1/28/19 - It Ain't Over
1/24/19 - Polling the Shutdown
1/21/19 - The Shutdown Offer
1/17/19 - The Fixer Fixed the Polls
1/14/19 - Pelosi Can't Afford a Wall
1/9/19 - Nine Minutes
1/7/19 - Relevance
1/3/19 - Shutdown
12/27/18 - Trump in Iraq - 90 Points
12/24/18 - Christmas 2018 - Six Words
12/20/18 - The "I" Word - II
12/17/18 - The Nay-C-A
12/13/18 - The "I" Word
12/10/18 - Close, but No Cigar
12/6/18 - A State Funeral
12/3/18 - H.W.
11/29/18 - The Election of 2018 is Over
11/22/18 - Thanksgiving 2018 - Rainbow Shiny
11/19/18 - January 3
11/16/18 - I was Right, This Time
11/12/18 - The War to End All ...
11/08/18 - Elections? What Elections.
11/05/18 - And ... Down the Stretch They Come
11/01/18 - Steve King
10/29/18 - On Being Jewish
10/25/18 - Simultaneous Bombs
10/22/18 - Permanent Final Week
10/18/18 - Oil Without Saudi
10/15/18 - 45750
10/8/18 - Moderates?
10/4/18 - That Blue Tsunami
10/2/18 - End Game
10/1/18 - The 2018 Subscription Drive
9/28/18 - The Kavanaugh/Ford Hearing
9/24/18 - Supreme Court
9/20/18 - Razor's Edge
9/17/18 - Statute of Limitations
9/13/18 - A Poll Dump
9/10/18 - Whodunit?
9/6/18 - Senate Judiciary Hearings
9/3/18 - Back to School - 2018
8/30/18 - Monkey Around
8/27/18 - We Make History
8/23/18 - The I-Word
8/20/18 - Zero Shades of Grey
8/16/18 - 82 Days & Counting
8/13/18 - Stiffing a SCIF
8/9/18 - Ohio-12
8/6/18 - A Tweet Storm
8/2/18 - Audiences, Crowds, and Mobs
7/30/18 - Good Numbers, Bad Numbers
7/26/18 - Putin isn't Coming
7/23/18 - Trump's Brove Affairs
7/19/18 - The ServPro President
7/16/18 - CNN is Not an Enemy of the People
7/12/18 - America's Resting Face
7/9/18 - SCOTUS Pick
7/4/18 - Happy Birthday, America
7/2/18 - Ghostbusters
Current Issue |
Ring | Past
Issues | Email
Rich | Rich
Copyright ©2018 Barrington Worldwide, LLC | Site design by Campaign